NPNA was formed in 1987 to encourage neighborhood pride and involvement in Northgate Park.
On an ongoing basis NPNA organizes:
- Monthly meetings to discuss local issues, organize events and present guest speakers to the community.
- A Yahoo listserv which enables continuous community communication. The listserv supports many informal social groups.
- Quarterly newsletters hand-delivered to every household in Northgate Park. The newsletter includes regular feature articles written by neighbors as well as information about local businesses.
- Support for the annual Elgin Street Halloween event
- Annual National Night Out to raise awareness of crime prevention
- Quarterly park clean-ups
- Monthly Food Truck Rodeos with Colonial Village- See Calendar
- Annual Bulb plantings with Keep Durham Beautiful
- Annual Northgate Park Yard Sales
• Events with many other community groups including ECWA, PAC2 and the Inter-Neighborhood Council
In addition, NPNA has been involved in:
- City of Durham Tree Planting Program 2014, Ruby Street
- Recycling in the Park started in 2013 with the Blue Bin Bunch
- Re-capitating the decapitated Bronto! Motivated residents collaborated to raise over $20,000 to repair the vandalized icon.
- The 2009 Northgate Park Renovation and Ellerbe Creek Restoration, ensuring resident’s wishes and concerns were considered in the development.
- Northgate Park’s 70th anniversary celebration
- NERP (Neighborhood Energy Retrofit Program) program, assisting residents to get financial aid in improving the environmental performance of their houses.
Guest speakers at monthly meetings have included Durham Police Department, Durham Planning Department, NERP coordination team and PAC2 representatives.
Your membership fees and donations help NPNA bring value and support to the community.
We need your input and energy to help make Northgate Park an even better place to live! Annual membership in NPNA is $5 to $15 per household, according to your preference. Please consider joining the association or renewing if you have not done so already. To join, fill out the form on the back of the most recent newsletter, or use the PayPal link below.
NPNA also welcomes donations beyond the membership fees and assures you that these funds will support the community in positive ways.